Tuesday, October 22, 2013

***WARNING FOR EVERYONE TO READ ABOUT SHOPPING ANYWHERE***

 
****Note from Oklahoma Transient, I posted this post to alert my Blogger friends and shoppers to always be aware of what is going on at a cash register no matter where you shop, and how you pay for your merchandise. Holidays are coming up, and this time of year brings out the criminals.   Granted, I didn’t check the validity of this article on Face Book.  Crime happens every day, and any where……… don’t be a victim!!!!!
 
 
THIS ARTICLE CAME FROM ALEXIS JONATHAN SALYERS, FROM FACEBOOK.


PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR RECEIPTS - THIS IS IMPORTANT AS YOU START YOUR SHOPPING FOR THE CHRISTMAS SEASON CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS BEFORE LEAVING ANY CASHIER'S STATION!!!!! THIS SCAM CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE, AT ANY RETAIL OR WHOLESALE LOCATION!!! It happened at a Wal-Mart Supercenter a month ago. I bought a bunch of stuff, over $150, & I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cash-back of $40. I told her I didn't request a cash back & to delete it. She said I'd have to take the $40 because she couldn't delete it. I told her to call a supervisor. Supervisor came & said I'd have to take it! I said NO! Taking the $40 would be a cash advance against my Discover & I wasn't paying interest on the cash advance!!!!! If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order. So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & rescan everything! The second time I looked at the electronic tab before I signed & a cash-back of $20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it. The total came out right. the cashier agreed that the electronic pad must be defective. (yeah, right!) Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad wasn't defective because she NEVER offered me the $40 at the beginning. Can you imagine how many people went through before me & at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed? Just to alert everyone. My coworker went to Milford , DE Wal-Mart last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn't give her a receipt. She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. My coworker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for $20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK! My coworker called Wal-Mart who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her This is a new scam. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in line. Please, please, please check your receipts right away when using credit or debit cards! This is NOT limited to Wal-Mart, although they are the largest retailer so they have the most incidents. I am adding to this.... My husband and I were in Wal-Mart North Salisbury and paying with a credit card. When my husband went to sign the credit card signer, he just happened to notice there was a $20 cash back added. He told the cashier that he did not ask nor want cash back and she said this machine has been messing up and she canceled it. We didn't think anything of it until we read this email. I wonder how many "seniors" have been, or will be, "stung" by this one???? BEFORE LEAVING THE CASHIER'S STATION!!!!! CHECK YOUR RECEIPT BEFORE LEAVING THE STAND. I'VE SEEN PEOPLE DO JUST THAT. NOW I'LL START! PASS THIS ON TO YOUR FRIENDS, KIDS, LOVED ONES



 
****Note from Oklahoma Transient, I posted this post to alert my Blogger friends and shoppers to always be aware of what is going on at a cash register no matter where you shop, and how you pay for your merchandise. Holidays are coming up, and this time of year brings out the criminals.   Granted, I didn’t check the validity of this article on Face Book.  Crime happens every day, and any where……… don’t be a victim!!!!!

  
 



 

SHARE:

36 comments

  1. Interesting. I usually have a good idea of my running total while shopping. Groceries are the worst to keep accurate but I have never come out more than $5.00 or so from the total after being rung up so I would notice right off even a $20.00 charge on top.

    I wonder what would happen to the phoney charge if someone hit the cash back button before the cashier tried it?

    Would prolly make the cashier cash back impossible to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PP,

      I'm like you, always have a running total going on in my brain and be aware of what's going on while your at the register.

      Delete
  2. Great post Sandy, thanks.
    There are many ways to scam and cheat people who use credit or debit cards. Most just don't look at the receipt and the low life check out people win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,

      You are so correct!!!! With the economy getting worse, expect to see more crimes against people.

      Delete
  3. Cashiers cannot activate the "cash back" buttons. I checked Snopes. Check it out yourself.
    http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/cashback.asp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post, I'll be more diligent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Izzy,

      My reason for posting this story from Face Book is just to make people think about being aware of everything going on at a cash register when checking out. Just be aware!!!

      Delete
  5. Wow Sandy thank you you have me wondering about how many people have been "ripped off" like this it makes me ill thinking about it. I would never have thought of that. I always look at my bills since a cashier keyed in $200 on a $20 product once and since my cart was full I thought I really over spent and did not catch it. Never again I always looked. I did indeed go back. Oh this makes me sick. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B,
      There are several people annoyed at me because I didn't check the facts on this article from Face Book.

      My reasoning for posting this article was to make everyone aware, anything can happen at a cash register and it has.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the heads up!
    My husband and I have been Retail Managers for many years and have sadly discovered some of the worst thieves and skammers are the employees!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm like PP up there, I usually keep a running total in my head so more than likely I would notice it at the register. I'm just cheap....errr.... frugal like that.

    I saw this email going around about this time last year on FaceBook. Just in time for the holidays and a great reminder to watch out for those creeps who would do this sort of thing. Unfortunately the holidays tends to bring out the thieves as well as the goodness in folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SCI,

      You're not cheap, you're aware and alert.

      There are so many people who are not aware or alert. Most if you watch are busy playing with their wallets, kids, groceries, and cell phone. Heck and if you go out into the parking lot and watch, people don't even pay attention to their surroundings outside.

      I didn't check out this article as I usually do. I posted this article to alert people.

      Delete
  9. Please fact check stuff like this before posting it.

    While checking your receipt is always a good thing (even the best cashiers make mistakes, and there are ones who ARE trying to scam you, but.....) you CANNOT GET CASH BACK WHEN USING A CREDIT CARD AT A CHECKOUT. Yes, I know some credit cards have a cash advance option. You have to enter a PIN in order to get that cash, AND it has to be done at either an ATM or at a bank. If you do not enter your pin you CANNOT get cash back, and you CANNOT enter a PIN at a register in order to pay for something with a credit card. That is plain and simple fact. Trust me, I've had customers TRY.

    Now if you're paying with a Debit card, and you choose the option to enter your PIN instead of hitting the credit button, AND if the cashier is slick enough, it is technically possible for a cashier to get away with something like that. But for one: don't pay with purchases using your PIN, your bank probly charges you extra for doing that in the first place (and if not at first, then likely after so many of them per month). 2nd: even with the little shield around the pad on those the register of a busy store is NOT the place you want to be typing in your PIN anyway. and 3rd: if you still ABSOLUTELY MUST use your PIN instead of hitting credit simply DO NOT allow the cashier to hit buttons for you on the keypad, they can't hit a button to choose cash back on their register on most register systems these days, it HAS to be done on that little pad, and so do all your own button hitting and you're not going to have a problem with something like this. If you really need cash go find an ATM where you have a better chance of being able to block out anyone from seeing your PIN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth,

      My reason for posting this post was to tell people to be aware of what is going on at the cash register. Most people around the holidays fail to pay attention. Granted I didn't check this story out in detail, but I do know there are ways of manipulating credit cards based on my work experience in the law enforcement industry.

      Delete
    2. Gee Sandy, I dont know about the rest but her comment came off as condesening to me. I figure as a grown adult you don't need someone telling you what to do like that. Last time I remember being talked to like that was in high school.

      And Linda's comment was, shall we say, borderline bossy as well.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Matt,

      That's why I say some things are worth worrying about, and others are not.

      Delete
    5. No doubt you are correct, but still....

      Hey, thanks.

      Delete
    6. I hate to say it but I can't let it go just yet. Ruth, I don't know you but I DO have some advice for you. It is possible to talk to someone without coming off like you are some sort of blog nazi. If she wants to say "It's raining monkeys" who are you to tell her it's not?
      This is Sandy's blog and therefore we are visitors in her "home" as it were. A little respect would go quite a ways.
      (Sorry Sandy... Sometimes I just can't shut up)

      Delete
    7. Matt,
      No.....thank you! You're are a good friend :-)

      Delete
    8. SCI,

      No need to apologize one bit, your a friend.

      Manors is society today are truly hard to find in people.

      Ayn Rand ones said, "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

      Delete
  10. Sweet Sandy,

    I agree with all the previous comments. I saw this too last year floating around. and like PP and Sci, I watch what is being rung in, and keep an eye on my total.
    And what Ruth said, I also try my best to shield my pin number from the customer behind me. But I do know there are ways to scam people, and if there is the will, then there is the way... And with our crummy economy the way it is, the scammers will be out in full force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JUGM,
      I'm always watching. Also when you use the register where you ring yourself up (self serve), one must be careful. If the computer goes down in the middle of processing your debit or credit card and the staff states........ oh it's just a glitch rescan your card. Make sure to check your bank account for the possibility of a double entry/withdrawal. This had happened to me, the computer went down in the middle of the payment transaction. I mentioned to the supervisor the debit card went through, she stated, oh no it didn't because the system went down just go ahead and start over again. When I went home, I checked my bank account and sure enough the Wal-Mart processed the transaction twice. I printed my bank statement, went back to Wal-Mart, and received a credit and an apology for the double process. It pays to always be aware, and so many people don't.

      Delete
    2. Def. will keep a check esp. at Wally World. Once Senior and I were out to dinner, and we left a tip on the table, well, when the waitress rang us up at the register, she added in more tip... We told the manager, and they credited it back to us.

      Delete
    3. Sandy, as a former retail manager myself, I can certainly say that there are some very inventive cadhiers out there.

      While most would recycle the came ol tricks, occasionally some one would come up with something new.

      I took your post in the spirit you offered it.

      Delete
    4. JUGM,

      I pay's to watch every where you go!!!

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    6. Matt,

      Thank you, there are plenty of tricks being played every day.

      Delete
  11. Sandy's right. All the more reason to pay attention to your surroundings. The holidays are coming up and foodstamps are going down Nov 1st. I'm thinking we'll be seeing a lot more folks trying to scam the good guys soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SCI,

      Thanks Sci!!! Yes, we will see more people out there scamming. The crime rate will be going up across this country. Peoples safety and well being is my concern.

      Delete
  12. Wow! I don't always look at my receipts, especially when I'm tired. Great info here... and a little drama. That was fun. hehe... just kidding. Thanks so much for posting this information Sandy. A great reminder to always be aware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy,
      It's always good to be aware when checking out at any cash register.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the warning! I shred on G+ and facebook. Sorry this happened, glad you found out!

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig