Thursday, October 24, 2013

Canning and the New Ugly Bird


I would like to start my post today by welcoming a new Blogger friend to my blog.   Welcome……. They call me Moe! (I’m not able to locate your blog, if you have one please let me know and I will update this post). Thank you for joining my blog, please sit back and enjoy the ride.  


*****


Anytime I have a question on canning, I go to one of my experienced blogger friends for assistance.  This time, I went to Patrice Lewis’ Blog, Rural Revolution.  I remembered Patrice posted instructions on her blog a while back on canning cooked chicken.  I borrowed her instructions, and continued on canning my chicken.   Thank you Patrice for your assistance!!!!  Patrice has a booklet series called the

Rural Revolution's Self-Sufficiency Series.  These booklets are in-expensive and make great reference material when trying to can by water bath or pressure canning.
Introduction to Water-Bath Canning
Introduction to Pressure Canning
Canning FAQs: 100 Basic Questions about Canning
You can find more information regarding her booklets here on Patrice’s blog. 
On to my chicken……..
 
 
 


In a big stock pot, I placed two whole chickens, water, vegetables, and spices. I cooked the stock for 10 hours, and canned 9 quarts of chicken stock.  I saved the chickens to pull the meat off the carcasses and can for future use.  Using Patrice’s instructions, I was able to can 2 quarts of chicken meat for future use.  I was surprised there was only enough meat for 2 jars :-)  I will have to process more chicken in the next several weeks.

*****
Tank came home the other night with a bird.  He figured it would look good out on the back patio.  It’s a bird made of old tool parts, this is the small one.  The 6 foot tall one stayed with his friend Matt’s family.  Tank has been over to Matt’s family’s farm to help clear out some of the property, just a small part of their 1700 acres in Oklahoma.  They offered him the bird; he took the bird knowing I would like it.
Have you canned anything lately?



 

 

                    

 
 

 
 

 



 
Gate Clip Art:  GardenClipArt.com




SHARE:

18 comments

  1. This weekend I'm going to can some Bread & Butter Pickles and Kosher Dill Pickle Spears. 4 pints of each this time.

    I went to a new (for me) Jacksonville Farmers Market in operation since I believe 1936. There are hundreds of vendors, it was amazing what they had there. Many restaurants buy their food everyday. The cukes I seen were perfect, very firm and with thin skin, 3 for a dollar. Hopefully they will have them again this weekend so I can make the pickles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,

      Hey there!!! Congrats on finding this farmers market. It's great finding a farmers market that has all kinds of vendors and nice looking vegetables and fruit.

      I tried canning bread and butter pickles for the first time several months back. They turned out pretty good. I will be canning more this spring.

      That's a deal on the cukes, 3 for $1. I hope you make a post about your pickle making :-)

      Delete
  2. So Matt flipped ya a bird huh?

    We stopped canning this year. Mostly just froze stuff since I used most of the canning jars for honey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PP,

      Yes, Matt flipped me the bird, lol.......
      He's a good kid (20 years of age), always works hard. I'm happy my son has a friend like this.

      Delete
  3. Cool bird what a great find I bet he loves working the farm:) I have not canned in years. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B,

      Both my son and his friend love working really hard. I thought the bird was neat, and a great idea for those broken tools.

      Delete
  4. I used to can everything. This year I froze everything except pickles. You will love it when some day you can can your own home grown chicken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michaele,

      I love the idea of canning meat to put away for the future. I'll love it even better when it's my own raised chickens.

      Delete
  5. My mom, nearly 81, still cans from her garden, makes jellies, and bakes constantly. I miss that bustle in the kitchen, not to mention the goodies that result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rev. Paul,

      Bless your Mom....81 years of age and still cans and keeps a garden. This is what makes people feel wonderful is being outside in a garden.

      Have you considered doing your own garden and canning?

      Delete
  6. That darn Matt! Lol.

    I need to check out the canning meats
    Every time I do, when i open it to use..the meat is horribly dry. So i stopped doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. JUGM,

    Matt, he's a good kid!!!! I would love the big bird :-)

    This is a first for me on canning meats. I cooked the chicken before hand and placed boiling water on it in the jar with salt, and processed it. I'm thinking this canned chicken would probably be good in a pot pie or maybe a casserole, something with liquid in it for extra moisture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your canned chicken looks fantastic! I love having canned meats available: soups, stews, pot pie, casserole, yum. So convenient. I'm getting ready to can soups from all that way overgrown tatume squash. Also getting ready to defrost my elderberries to make and can jelly. That is as soon as my new order of Tattlers arrives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh,

      Thanks, this was a first for me with meats. Squash soup sounds good! I haven't tried the Tattler lids, everyone talks about them. Are they better than the normal lids which come with the jars?

      Delete
  9. Sandy,
    That's some good looking chicken! I'm still dragging my feet about getting the squash I picked this week canned. I'm hoping I'll be "motivated" enough to get it done this weekend.
    I have a few dozen Tattler lids and I really like them. The best thing is that they are re-useabale. They will pay for themselves eventually. I've got more lids on my wish list.
    Enjoy your weekend!
    Sci

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sci,

    Thanks Sci!!! I so can understand why you're dragging your feet. You've been doing nothing but canning the last several weeks and you're tired :-)

    Hopefully, it's not raining over where your located. It's been raining all day here.

    I definitely have to try these lids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I REALLY need to do canning. That chicken looks delicious! I don't have a pressure canner yet...can you recommend one? I do have the equipment for a hot water bath type though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robbyn,

      This is the pressure canner I use and love. I ordered mine from Wal-Mart. Here's the actual one I have: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-23-Qt-Pressure-Canner/2625289

      Delete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig