Monday, October 14, 2013

Anniversary, Meeting Friends, Garden

I’m going to start my post out by saying Happy Anniversary to my hero, my husband Bulldog Man.  As each year goes by, I love you more.  Consider today’s post a certificate for one home-cooked meal of your choice!!!!  And after eating this meal, I’ll let you do dishes (a gift from you to me)…………Bahahahahaha!!!!! 
Friday, I did the usual; paid bills, hit Crest grocery store for some spices I didn’t have, and didn’t grow in my garden, and picked up what groceries we needed.  After getting home, unloading, and putting away the groceries, Bulldog Man called me, and suggested we go out to the military base to meet up with some of his good friends he hadn’t seen in over 7 years.  Over the past several years, Bulldog Man always talked to me about his friends, Lorri and Steve, in a positive way. I’ve always wanted the opportunity to meet his friends.  This was the perfect time to finally meet them.  I just wished my sweet husband, Bulldog Man would have called me earlier in the morning, before I went grocery shopping.  I would prefer grocery shopping at the commissary instead of Crest. 
Saturday, amazingly enough, we actually slept until 9:30AM, (this is highly unusual) but I’m glad we got caught up on our sleep.  We both jumped into the shower, and got ready to head to Tinker AFB to meet up with Lorri and Steve.  They mentioned to my husband when he talked with them to look for a motor home parked in the parking lot of the BX. 
To our surprise, we arrived……. found the motor home, trailer, car, motorcycle, bird cages (their birds travel with them), and all kinds of spinners. 
Lorri and Steve, Bulldog’s military friends, retired from the military, left a civil service job, sold their home, auctioned off all of their belongs, and decided to live life to its fullest, and travel the United States.  When they stop at military bases for the night, if they feel like it, they setup their spinners for others to enjoy and buy.  They do this for fun; don’t need the money to support themselves.  Any money received is used to put gas in their motor home.  This just sounds like so much fun, one day I would love to be able to do something like this.  For now, Bulldog Man and I are destined to find acreage and setup our homestead. 
Before saying goodbye to Lorri and Steve, Bulldog Man and I purchased a pig spinner and windsock with a 32 foot windsock pole (Bulldog Man has alternative reasons for purchasing the large windsock pull, he will outline this in one of my future posts).  Lorri and Steve are headed towards San Antonio.  If you happen to be on base, tell them we said “Hey”!
This pig is adorable, I placed him in my garden.
Lorri and Steve's setup.  Our rainbow wind sock on the front of the RV.
 
Before the rain came on Sunday evening, Bulldog Man and I went out to the garden to harvest some green beans.  We were able to bring in enough green beans to add as a side dish to a meal.  The peas in the garden have grown and even produce beautiful flowers.  I’m still waiting on peas to harvest.  Hopefully, it will be soon, before we get our first freeze. 
 
It’s been raining a gentle, continuous rain, which should continue through Tuesday.  Once the grass dries, I get to sneak out the tractor and cut grass (hubby will be at work, and he can’t hog the machine).
I hope everyone has a blessed Monday!!!
 
 

SHARE:

32 comments

  1. What a great, adventurous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Stephen,

      I found him first!!!!! Finders keepers......nah ..... nah.....nah....nah!!!

      Delete
  3. Such a cute pink pig!
    And Happy Anniversary to you both.
    Wonderful you can still be gardening there,
    I gave up on mine,. It was too cool here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly,

      I thought he was cute, I need to hide him Stephen wants to steal him.

      Thank you for the Anniversary wish!!!! Yes, still gardening just for a little while.

      Delete
  4. Happy anniversary to both of you. ..and what Stephen said....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt,

      Thank you for the Anniversary wish!!! As for the pig, I have him under lock and key since you two want him :=)

      Delete
  5. Happy Anniversary!!!

    So they let them set up in the parking lot? That surprises me. I mean they shouldn't stop them but it surprises me they don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PP,

      Thanks for the Anniversary wish.

      Yes, they allow them as long as there's permission first. Usually there's a fee, and he's retired military. There is a protocol before even getting to the base.

      Delete
    2. My mother used to drive in an out of Fort Leonard Wood over and over because she thought it was so funny the gate guards were saluting her. My step dad finally explained to her it was the sticker on his car. I think it really hurt her ego to find that out.

      Delete
    3. PP,

      Your poor Mother!!!! Your Dad must have been enjoying every minute of this story.

      Delete
  6. Happy Anniversary!! The pig is adorable. It sounds like you had one of those rare weekends we need from time to time. Do it again soon! And enjoy that tractor!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I spent the beginning of my life (as a baby of course) living just down the road from Tinker Air Force Base.

      Delete
    2. 1st Man,

      Thank you for the Anniversary wish! I love this little pig, he looks good in my garden. But I have to hide him under lock and key because Stephen and Matt want him (see above).
      It was nice to enjoy the weekend with and without the rain. I can't wait to get on that tractor again :-)

      P.S. You're still a young lad, it's only 26 and holding right??
      Did you live in Midwest City, Del City, Shawnee??

      Delete
    3. Um, 26, yeah, sure....sounds good to me! LOL! Add about 20 to that. It was Midwest City for awhile then we moved to Yukon where my parents built a house. How's this for full circle....they planted like 10 fruit trees in the back yard. If that house is still there and the trees are there, that was about 1970 or so, they would be huge now. And here I am planting my own, ha. We moved out of state a couple years after that and I never lived there again, except Summers with Grandparents. And of course I travel to Lawton a couple times a year to see my Grandfather who's in the VA center there. I feel like Texas AND Oklahoma are my home. :-)

      Delete
    4. 1st Man,

      I always us 26 years of age, it sounds good, lol
      Truthfully, you're only as old as you feel :-)
      Today, I feel like I'm 80!!!

      If your parents place is still there with those trees, I bet there producing all kinds of fruit.

      I've never really lived or travelled to Oklahoma or Texas until 8 years ago. My husband and I will more than likely end up back in Texas because our kids are there and we like the laws.


      Delete
  7. Oh Happy Anniversary.... I love that pig spinner too:) Oh it sounds like you had a great time. hug B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B,
      Thank you for the Anniversary wish. I love the pig spinner so much, I took him inside the house when the rains and wind blew through here last night.

      Delete
  8. Happy Anniversary to you two!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DFW,

      Thank you so very much for the Anniversary wish!!

      Delete
  9. I love the pig! And HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! I hope it was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JUGM,

      Me too!!!! It was a nice Anniversary. We both just consider it another day, thank you for the Anniversary wish.

      Delete
  10. We always called the Wirley gigs! And I used to see an old man that made and sold them out here on the country corner. He stopped being around some years ago, and I sure miss the pretty sight of it all. The ones that I bought years ago, are long gone after many years of enjoyment. Enjoy yours. Praying you are all great!
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie,

      Thank you!!! We are all great, and appreciate your prayers.
      I hope all is well with you and your family.

      Delete
  11. I always enjoy reading your posts. I like that you are still harvesting even though I am glad that part is over for this year - well there are the parsnips..

    Ps. Hold on to that acreage goal. It's a good one : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michaele,

      Thank you so very much Michaele, as I enjoy reading your posts.

      Parsnips, I love them.......especially when roasted with carrots, beets, and sweet potatoes.

      We plan on holding on to this dream!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. John,

      That bowl is the basket from my lettuce spinner :-)

      I use it when I'm harvesting vegetables from the garden.

      Delete
  13. Happy anniversary! The pig spinner is so neat! And it's so nice you got to meet Lorri and Steve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh,

      Thank you Leigh!! I love my pig spinner.
      I've finally met Lorri and Steve, my husband has always talk highly of both of them.

      Delete
  14. I see I missed your anniversary, Sandy! Congratulations! Looks like you had a fun visit, too!

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig