Monday, May 6, 2013

Time To Start Planting

Finally, no snow, frost, or major storms, we have a beautiful spring day.  And now it looks as if our days of below 30 degrees are over for now. 
Some of the garden beds were made ready for planting after placing additional peat moss and compost.  Bulldog Man and I measured out each of garden beds and placed twine to make equal segments for planting.  This was completed on two boxes and the third, we just used the shovel because we really only planted 4 tomato plants in each corner of the garden box. 
I was able to plant Swiss chard, carrots, onions, golden beets, arugula, eggplant, spinach, parsnips, fennel, broccoli, atomic carrots, kale, red beets, strawberries, tomatoes (Brandy Wine, Red Cherry, Cherokee Purple, Purple Russian, and Dad’s Sweet), Albino Bullnose peppers, Sweet Chocolate Peppers, lettuce (Big Boston, Red Romaine, Winter Density), cauliflower, collards, and marigolds (a good bug deterrent).
This was just the start of my planting; I have more to plant in-ground and in pots within the next several weeks. 




One box planted tomatoes in every corner

Finished planting seeds
Seeds all planted

While I was planting seeds, Bulldog Man was making a cover with bird netting to cover my container strawberries and peppermint, to keep the birds from eating the fruit.



He also put together a steel mesh deck wagon for me and surprised me with it.  This wagon will come in handy when pulling bags of peat moss, pots or anything heavy on the property; it will hold 1,000 pounds. 




  
Have you been able to plant in your garden or has the weather prevented you from doing so?   
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. Beautiful progress.

    When the weather clears for a second or two we stick something else in the ground. The fruit is set and growing. Hopefully what we plant will grow as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail,

      Thank you! I hope the weather clears for you soon and you're able to plant all kinds of veggies and fruit.

      Delete
  2. I planted my garden a couple of weeks ago ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, we couldn't because the weather was to cold.

      Delete
  3. Wow! You are going to be eating well this year! Do you plant your tomato seeds directly in the ground instead of starting indoors? Love the netting frame & the cart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DFW,

      The plan is to can, freeze, dehydrate and eat these items. Store them for preparation.
      I started the tomatoes inside, then when I went to Texas for a week to help take care of my Dad. My hubby to care of my tomatoes and they all pretty much died. So now I'm planting the seeds directly in the ground.

      Delete
  4. This is indeed perfection gardening. You are going to have an abundance of veggies in record time! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. woo hoo!! you have exactly what I been wanting!! I love your set up!!! Your garden will be a very big hit, I am sure!!
    Bless you Sweetie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have more garden beds to create and plenty of 5 gallon buckets to plant. I'm hoping the weather doesn't get to hot for the garden.

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad to read that you and your family are OK after those devastating tornadoes touched down in Oklahoma. What a mess .. and such loss of life! Horrible!

      Your garden looks like it's coming along .. hope it survived the storm too.

      Our garden is 3/4 planted. One more good day of work and then I'll be done .. just maintenance. I'll have to start mowing weeds soon as we've had rain and I like to keep our property mowed as best as possible.

      May the Lord bless you and keep you.

      Mrs. Mac

      Delete
    3. Mrs. Mac,

      It's a big mess, and devastation. these storm has affected many people. Thank you for your kind words.

      My garden, I haven't checked on it since the storm. I hope it does well and hasn't drowned or become water logged.

      I'm happy to hear you'll have your garden finished real soon.

      Delete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig