Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Experiment - Tomatoes - Roses


Today, I took advantage of the sunshine.  I decided to throw my good pillows off the couch and into the wash machine on the hand wash cycle, and selected the extra wringer cycle.  Now I usually wash the surface of these pillows by hand.  Because the dogs decided to lounge on top of the couch, and use the pillows as their own personal pillows, I refused to wash them by hand; they needed a really good wash.  As an experiment, and keeping my fingers crossed, they went into the wash machine.  I was hoping they wouldn’t come apart in the washer.  When I pulled them out after the wash was finished, they came out in one piece.  Instead of drying them in the dryer, I placed them outside to dry on a chair and turned them constantly throughout the day.  Now they look brand new and smell nice and clean, not like dog.





*****
Monday, I planted my seeds in the above ground boxes and today, I have a Dad’s Sunset tomato, and a Roma tomato heirloom plant popping out of the soil. 
Dad's Sunset large orange type tomato

Roma tomato


*****
The rose bush along side of the bathroom window has started flowering.  Without exaggeration, there are over 100 buds waiting to bloom.  The landlord planted this bush, I’m not sure of the type of roses they are.  Maybe it is a Knockout rose bush?


SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Wonderful day. New plants and fresh pillows...that would make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail,

      I love fresh smelling pillows and can't believe I have tomatoes popping from the ground already.

      Delete
  2. I'm just happy to see green, growing things; there's still snow in sheltered spots here. The tomatoes sound wonderful, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rev. Paul,

      Soon enough, you'll have green all around you. Maybe not for long but it will be green.

      Delete
  3. Monday? And they popped out on Wednesday? Two days to germinate? OMG super Tomatoes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PP,

      I was surprised too! Yes, planted on Monday and popped out on Wednesday. Used good compost, peat moss, soil and watered well. I don't know if it makes a difference, there heirloom.

      Delete
  4. I would be so afraid to plant tomato seeds directly in the ground here. By the time they were up the temps would be so hot it would just kill them. Although, disease or bugs are doing that anyway.

    Don't know what the roses are but that color is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DFW,

      I initially planted my tomato seeds inside a little greenhouse inside my house. The seeds were growing beautifully inside, then had to leave town for a week. Leaving the tomatoes to be taken care of by my family. When I returned home all my plants were dead. I believe there was to much moisture in the greenhouse. So I just decided to plant the seeds directly in the ground.

      The roses are beautiful, not sure of the type.

      Delete
  5. sweet Sandy - i love the colour of your pillows - so vibrant - very similar to your beautiful roses! i don't know what kind of rose that is but it is beautiful! and i am sorry that you lost your tomatoe seedlings, but it seems that you are doing well with popping them right in the ground. congrats gurl!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Kymber,

      I love these pillows and now my dogs love to lay on them. I needed to clean them and I know you're not suppose to put them in the washer but I did, and they came out like brand new.

      I can only hope the tomatoes do well planted directly in the ground.

      Delete
  6. sweet Sandy - i forgot to mention - go check out Mamma Bear's latest post on Challenged Survival...she's having a give away - you'll love it! teehee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Kymber,

      Thank you for giving me the heads up, I'll go over to Mamma Bear's and check it out.

      Delete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig