Friday, February 1, 2013

Sick In OK - Pasta - Seeds


                                                                                                                                                                                                     Pic Source: culturejaunt.com

The flu, stomach viruses, pneumonia, and colds are running ramped through this part of Oklahoma.  When you go into any store in town, all you hear or see are people coughing, blowing noses, and looking like death warmed over.  Last week, I started with a sore throat and sinus issues.  I thought I had control of it because the symptoms were getting better, then over a 3 day period I hit bottom.  I have a fever, sore throat, sinus issues, upset stomach, and feel weak.  I’ve been taking home remedies, drinking all kinds of water and hot tea, flushed out my sinuses and now I’m starting to feel much better.    


*****

I’ve found a very simple meal with pasta, pancetta and leeks that is to die for!!!!  The recipe can be found here.  It’s so good it makes you want to slap your Mama!!!!!    Bulldog Man gives this dish a 4 ½ paw rating.  In fact, this recipe will be part of my list of meals to make at any time.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Pic Source: The Pioneer Woman
Pasta with Pancetta and Leeks
12 ounces of pasta (bows)
Reserved Pasta Water (after pastas cooked), If Needed
3 ounces of Pancetta chopped
3 whole Leeks, sliced thin
½ cup Dry White (cooking) Wine
½ cup Heavy Cream
1 Tablespoon Butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
Parmesan Cheese, Shaved

Directions

Cook pasta and set aside.  Reserve ½ cup of pasta water.  Sauté chopped pancetta until fat is rendered and it starts to brown.  Add sliced leeks and cook for 8 minutes.  When you add the leeks, you can also throw in a pat or two of butter if you want (do it after the bacon is browned to prevent burnt butter).  This’ll give the dish some scrumptious flavor. After 8 to 10 minutes, pour in wine, and then cook an additional 1-2 minutes, until reduced.  Reduce heat to low, and then pour in cream.  Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in Parmesan shavings.  Toss in pasta, adding a little pasta water to thin as needed.  Serve with Parmesan shavings over the top. 

*****

While attempting to order Spearmint (herb) from several of my favorite catalogs, I ran into a problem.  Every seed company kept telling me the seeds are no longer available, there were all sold out.  About a week ago, the Seed Saver Exchange catalog came in the mail.  While skimming through the catalog, I noticed Spearmint (herb), I immediately ordered 500 seeds and didn’t get the message on the computer stating, “Sorry, we’re sold out”.  I’m so excited; I finally was able to get all the seeds I needed.    Then I made the mistake of scanning the entire catalog, I found a few additional vegetables, and herbs, so I ordered them.  Shhhhh…….. Don’t tell Bulldog Man.

What Bulldog Man doesn’t see won’t hurt him!!!!!    Right ?????

 

SHARE:

17 comments

  1. NOW I know where I caught this scratchy throat, raw lungs, and stuffed up ears! It must'ave been all over those beef jerky spices!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started to feel sick, I stayed away from your spices :-) I was nice enough to have Bulldog Man wrap your package and mail it for me. Now if your sick, blame it on the rest of Oklahoma, lol.....

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, I'm trying to get rid of this stuff.

      Delete
  3. ugh. poor sweet Sandy - i hope that you are feeling much better by the time you read this. please be sure to rest and take it easy for a few days even after you start feeling better, just to be safe. i will definitely try your recipe based on the 4 and a half paw rating. and i won't tell anyone about the "few" seeds that you ordered - bahahahahah! i need spearmint too!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Kymber,

      I'm starting to feel better, still plan on taking it slow though. The pasta was excellent, in fact were going to have it again next week.

      Thanks for not saying a thing about the couple of packets of seeds I ordered to add to my box for the next season.

      Delete
  4. Sorry your sick! My little one was down the middle of the week and my husband hasn't gotten out of bed in two days! I'm hoping this stuff leaves us soon!!!! Your pasta looks yummy, I will have to try it. I have a seven yr. old picky picky eater who likes nothing I cook, maybe this will win her over LOL! Love your seeds! I'm going through the rest of mine today and see if there is any more I want to start ☺ I love this time of year, anticipating Spring!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly,

      Oh no two people in your house sick, I hope everyone gets better soon. It's no fun being sick at all.

      Why not let your picky seven year old add what she wants to the pasta and see if she will eat it.

      That is exactly what I did with this last bit of seeds. Now I'm set for planting and saving.

      Delete
  5. Hope you feel better. That pasta dish looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DFW,

      Thanks, I'm starting to feel much better.
      The pasta dish is amazing, you should try it.

      Delete
  6. Oh no! Not the sicko bug visiting you! Get well soon. Recipe looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Mac,

      Oh yes, the sicko bug is here......hopefully not for long!!!!

      The pasta is amazing, you should try it.

      Delete
  7. Hope your feeling up to par soon! No fun being sick! The pasta looks delish, will have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I can't wait to be feeling like my usual self:-)

      Delete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig