Tuesday, March 6, 2012

EGGS

A friend of mine, Sarah Roe from Money Saving Queen, published today on her website an article on “Frugal Living, How to Freeze Eggs.”  So I decided to follow her instructions and freeze my extra eggs.
If you’re like me, you have plenty of eggs on hand to use for cooking or baking.  You may have your own egg producing chickens or you buy plenty of eggs at the local grocer when on sale. I will generally have anywhere from 1 dozen to 4 dozen in my refrigerator at any one time. I don’t find myself using the eggs up as fast as I should.  To prevent the eggs from going bad, I will take a dozen eggs or so, crack them in a large measuring cup, mix them up with a whisk quickly and poor the egg mixture into ice cube trays to freeze for future use.  After the eggs freeze in the ice cube tray, take each egg cube out and place them into a sealed container in the freezer for storage.  This allows your egg to be stored for approximately a year. I feel freezing the eggs is more beneficial and safe for my family. 




Another process is to coat each egg with a warm mineral oil (this is supposed to be like the natural membrane when a chicken lay’s the egg) and replace the egg back into the egg crate, small side down and store in a cool dry place.  This will allow your eggs to have a shelf life of 9 – 12 months and not require refrigeration.  I believe this process was noted within the Doomsday Preppers Program on National Geographic Channel.  This process, I’m not comfortable using.  The only cool place I have would potentially attract critters or bugs and I’m not planning on inviting these problems.
Another process is to coat each egg with a warm mineral oil (this is supposed to be like the natural membrane when a chicken lay’s the egg) and replace the egg back into the egg crate, small side down and store in a cool dry place.  This will allow your eggs to have a shelf life of 9 – 12 months and not require refrigeration.  I believe this process was noted within the Doomsday Preppers Program on National Geographic Channel.  This process, I’m not comfortable using.  The only cool place I have would potentially attract critters or bugs and I’m not planning on inviting these problems.  
We attempted to work in the garden today and the winds in Oklahoma are terrible, 45 mph, making it impossible to complete tasks out in the garden.  You would start something and have it blown away before you can secure it.  Time to go inside and work, forget working outside in the garden, there’s always tomorrow.
Today is Super Tuesday; Alaska, Georgia, Idaho, Massachusetts, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Virginia and Vermont all prepped for primaries.  Did you vote?  I did J



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig