Thursday, July 3, 2014

When in Doubt...................



For those of you who were skeptical about growing celery, from just cutting off the bottom of a celery stalk purchased from the store or farmers market:  After placing the cut piece in water to grow roots, I planted the cut end with roots in soil, and watered it regularly.

Here’s the evidence: 
Cut end in water waiting for roots to grow.


End planted in soil, waiting for fully grown stalks to harvest.


Harvest time, complete stalks, and heavy roots.







I had Bulldog Man cut off the celery ends from my harvest to start the process all over again.  Now I could have left the ends in the soil but decided not to.



I have so many stalks to harvest, I decided to flash freeze some cut up celery to use in stews and soups.  






*****
I harvested potatoes, parsnips, carrots, and atomic carrots, from the garden to roast and added beets previously harvested from my garden.  When you roast these, all of these vegetables together with olive oil, salt and pepper; it’s like eating candy.  I complimented my chicken cordon bleu with these vegetables for dinner one night. 



*****
Here’s a cute little video of our guard dog watching through the garden gate, to make sure no one steps on the property.  If they do, he’ll have to chew them up and spit them out………………..including you, PP!! 


*****
In the next couple of days, I will be hosting another great give-away; keep an eye out to register. 

*****



Happy 4th of July, please be careful and safe with fireworks, and enjoy this great holiday.  





Pic Source 4th July, WebWeaver’s ClipArt

SHARE:

18 comments

  1. LOL I can see Beans is about as busy as a dog guarding Celery. Easiest job on earth :)

    Carrots now those are good and nutritious.

    And if you make me Chicken Cor'don Blue I will let you have all the fishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PP,

      Yes, it's an easy job for Beans to guard the celery.......but it needs to be done :-) Not only do humans love the celery, so do the birds.

      I'll make you some chicken cordon blue as long as you don't make an attempt to steal my trout!!!

      Delete
  2. sweet, sweet Sandy - ever since you did your original post on the celery, i have been waiting to find an organic celery to try it out with! trying to grow celery here, even with a greenhouse is just one big failure after another - arghghghgh! but your method worked using a nappa cabbage and now i am trying it with all of our root veggies - i'll let you know how the others work out! as for Beans - he is a guard dog extraordinnaire - and forget what the wiener said above - he's just a weiner! bahahahahahhaah! but i love him anyway as do you! and yes - you need to mail me some of that chicken cordon bleu with the candy veggies - i bet it tasted divine!!! much love to you and yours always! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Kymber,

      I hope you're able to find some organic celery to grow your own. Yes, you can do the same process for many other vegetables.
      The chicken cordon bleu and sweet fresh vegetables were totally delicious!! I think if I sent you the cordon bleu and roasted vegetables Customs would have a fit because they couldn't have any.
      Sending love to you and yours.......your friend,
      Sandy

      Delete
    2. Sandy - i think that if you sent me your cordon bleu and veggies - customs would promptly lose the package and have a good supper that evening! heck even customs agents need a treat now and then! or maybe you could just write on the package "bed linen" - bahahahahah! much love hon! xoxox

      Delete
  3. All the Chicken Cordon Blue R Belongs 2 Me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PP,

      Come and get it!!!! I know Beans is on the look out for you, lol

      Delete
    2. bahahahahah! PP - jam thinks i am a complete idiot but i laugh every time you write R Belongs 2 Me! every single time! but i amuse easily. and yer still a wiener! bahahahahah!

      Delete
  4. Super impressed with the celery growing! I'm going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly,

      You won't be disappointed!!! Just make sure to cover the celery once you plant it with a bird net. The birds seem to love the celery leaves.

      Delete
  5. Wow, the celery is fantastic! You've got me motivated. Freezing is a good idea, I'd probably dehydrate some too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh,

      Thanks! I've learned to no longer plant celery seeds and continue this process it's so much easier and successful. Dehydrating is next, I have a few more celery plants in the garden to use.

      Delete
  6. Oh Sandy, I do so admire your gardening and cooking skills. The video was cute. He has such a serious look on his face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michaele,

      My gardening is something I've learned by practicing with seeds, or ends of vegetables over the years. I do a lot of reading and viewing of videos to get a better understanding on what to do or where I've failed. I also talk with my blogger friends for advice. As for my cooking, well this is something I've learned from my grandmother, mom, friends, and living in other countries as a kid (I was a military brat).

      Beans is such a little ham but when he decides to make sure the property is secure, he peaks up in alert mode and there's no shutting him down. The ATTACH Chihuahua, lol.......

      Delete
  7. I am so going to try growing celery this way. I have a celery bush that just went to see. I'm wondering if I'll have a forest of celery growing in the future. I'm leaving it alone to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Izzy,
      Try it, I think you'll really like growing celery this way.

      A forest of celery is what I'm heading for :-)

      Delete
  8. I tried the celery, but I didn't have a good sunny window.
    Yours sure look good. As do all those roasted root veggies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly,

      If you don't have a sunny window, maybe try a grow light?

      The roasted vegetables were amazing, real sweet naturally too.

      Delete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig