Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Thank You, Garden, Seeds, Brrr......



I want to take a moment to say thank you to two dear friends for the lovely Valentine's Day gifts. I'm not going to mention their names, they know who they are.  
 


Bulldog Man and I measured an area out back on the property, for setting up our first vegetable/fruit garden at our new place.  We decided to measure out 35 feet in width by 110 feet in length and clear out the grass with the tractor by skimming the ground.  Next we'll bring in several truck loads of potting soil and compost mixture, and add wood chips.  We will need to till the soil all together before planting seeds.  We’ve decided to start small, and gradually add more to the garden over the next couple of years.
 
In order to get the garden moving, we’ll also need to purchase additional feed lot panels,  more chicken wire, bird netting, t-posts, clips, PVC pipe, staples, and 2x4's, to use for securing our garden against the wildlife hanging around on the property.

I've already received the vegetable seeds ordered from Baker Creek and can’t wait to get them in the ground.  I also picked up from the local farm store, several organic onion slips, asparagus slips, and potato seeds for planting.



The weather hasn’t been very conducive; once again it’s taken a nose dive.  We're back to freezing temperatures with rain, sleet, and ice.  This has basically slowed the garden preparation process down to a very slow crawl......in a mud pit.  It's just too muddy to get any of the equipment in the garden area to work.   We’re expecting the same type of weather tomorrow as well.  I won't complain too much about the moisture, we really need it to help prevent the wild fires.


How are things in your neck of the woods?


SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Can't tell you how excited I am about YOUR garden! (Is that silly?)

    From my own experience, I can caution you to be careful about the addition of the wood chips. They should add nutrients to the soil but they take A LONG TIME to break down. A couple of years ago when we went in with our good neighbor and purchased a wood chipper/grinder (that we had all wanted for a long time), I added some of the chips we made to our raspberry and blueberry patches. I'm still fighting with the pieces that haven't decomposed. Not a big deal in the berry patches but if I had used them where I wanted to plant seeds . . . the chips would have made it very difficult!

    It's going to be fun to watch your garden take shape. You're going to get so much out of it! How wise you are to think of fencing to keep the hungry critters out. I know I'm very selfish when it comes to sharing (with the critters, anyway!) the food I grow in my garden!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama Pea,
      Hmmmm...I think we're going to have to rethink adding wood chips. Thanks for the insight, I don't want to be fighting wood chips after planting seeds.

      They're way to many critters here we must have fencing buried in the ground, and high enough to deter all. Otherwise, all our hard work will be a smogesborg for the critters.

      Sending hugs, and love.
      Sandy

      Delete
  2. There is nothing like a new garden! I'm with Mama Pea - I'm way more excited about yours than mine! :) Wish I lived closer, as I would love to share my 'wealth' of llama beans with your garden. They have reached legend status with my local friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,

      I wish you, Mama Pea, and I lived closer! If we lived closer to one another we all would be in creating havoc.....LOL! You've peak my interest, why are you more excited about my garden?

      Hugs, and love
      Sandy

      Delete
  3. Exciting times ahead for you! We just moved 3 weeks ago and are excited to clear out a spot for our garden. Not sure how big we want to start out with, but we can always add more. We have 5 acres to play with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather,
      Congratulations on your new place. I'm sure you'll figure out in time the size of your garden. Have you ordered seeds?

      Delete
  4. Sandy, I sure wish I had your energy. It's about all I can do to keep this place together, let alone undertake any new projects. I can remember when the wife and I did things like you are doing, but we use up our energy now just "fixing".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry,
      I have arthiritis in my back, and hips. If I don't keep moving the pain is worse. So I keep going even if I don't feel like it. My husband and I are trying to get the house and property in order, and the way we want to make it so it's more convenient for when we get older. Harry it's hard because the work is consuming. Just do what's important now for you and your wife. Everything else will just need to wait until you can get to it.
      Don't over do it my friend.

      Delete
  5. oh my goodness! great plot of ground! looks like it will get plenty of sun!
    I see you are getting well prepared in advance.....yay!!
    Haven't even started in mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M.E.,
      Right now the plot is flooded with all of the rain. I'm hoping the ground will dry so we can finish working the area in preparation for my garden. I know you'll be starting your garden soon!

      Delete
  6. Well, our snow is gone and the rain has stopped there is hope:):) I have not even thought about gardens I admire your energy and forethought. Have fun burr here too but will be 8 degrees Celsius tomorrow I may need to get my shorts out. B

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig