Thursday, December 8, 2016

Something to Warm You Soul



Temperatures have been dropping across our country; sure signs of winter.  During winter, I find myself making hearty soups for dinner, to warm the soul.  Here’s one of our favorite soups; it’s a Tortellini Sausage soup.


Tortellini Sausage Soup Recipe
Turkey Sausage, Italian Style (approximately 4 links) removed from casing and browned in a soup pot with a small onion. Add 3 whole pieces of garlic, stir until meat is totally cooked and onions are translucent. 
Add 2 containers (approximately 2 quarts) of chicken broth
1 Can of diced tomatoes w/juice
2 Cups of water
3/4 Teaspoon of basil (dried)
1/4 Teaspoon of pepper (black) Red Pepper Flakes (place as many as you like to heat up the soup)
Salt lightly (because the sausage has salt)
1/4 Cup of parmesan cheese

8 Ounces of fresh spinach chopped in larger pieces (not killed….I mean diced).

Cook for 3 minutes or until spinach starts to shrivel then add
1 Package of frozen cheese tortellini (approximately 19 ounces), and cook until tortellini is cooked through (approximately 5 minutes).  Your tortellini will float to the top of the soup.  When this happens, it’s time to serve the soup with a little parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. 

This soup is great served with a loaf of Italian/French bread.

Bulldog Man rates this recipe with 4 paws!
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I love soup and this looks awesome. I just told JUGM about it, maybe she will make some....

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt about it, this time of year is soup and stew weather! And this recipe looks right up our alley. I will be trying it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama Pea,

      I love this soup, I hope you get a chance to try it.

      Delete
  3. MMMMMMmmmm! Does that sound delish! I've been thinking about what soup to make this weekend - wish I could have that tortellini...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,

      I wish you could eat tortellini. Soup is great for warming the soul. I hope you find a great recipe.

      Delete
  4. Cold here too. We have a ham cooking in the crock pot, with potatoes and onions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harry,

    Your ham, potatoes with onions sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in the process of putting up a new stash of bone broth, and just wrote "tortellini" on my shopping list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh,

      Bone broth YUM!!!! I'm sure you'll love this soup recipe :-)

      Delete
  7. Love soup! Made some lentil soup the other night and served with crescent rolls just the way my mother did, it's just not the same without them. Didn't think to look in the freezer section for tortellini, but found some in the dried pasta section with cheese in them. Hope to make some our your soup soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose,

      Soup will warm your soul especially in the winter time.
      We didn't serve this soup with rolls because of the tortellini. I've never used dried tortellini before, it should work in this soup. I hope you love the soup as much as we do.

      Delete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig