Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Seed Books, Bathroom Changes, & Water Alarm




I’ve received my first two seed catalogs, for ordering seeds, for my 2018 garden.  The Whole Seed Catalog was given to me by my sister.  She came up for Thanksgiving to visit and see the changes made since the water damage to our house.




Before I continue on, I wanted to say I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  I know I haven’t been around much, and I apologize.  Life threw us a curve ball, with the pipe coming apart under the house and our wood floors turning into hard waves…..pretty much like you would see in the movie “Tremors” with the actual ground.

All the mold, and water damage has been removed.  Our floors have been replaced and we now have our home back (6 days before Thanksgiving)!!!  We didn’t leave the house while all this work was going on.  The crew worked totally around us for 10 whole weeks.  
On my last real post, I provided y’all with a sample of the wood flooring being installed in our home.  Now I’m going to provide you with a few pictures of the new flooring for our two bathrooms. 

Because the flooring in each bathroom had to be totally removed to get to the sub floors, we had to replace the tile, not just on the floor, but in each shower to match.  

You’ll notice there’s still some work to be done in each bathroom, like painting the ceilings, mop boards, changing cabinets, lights, and blinds.  Adding towel bars, vents, and caulking a few places.   These projects will be added to our list of things to do, and will be done at our convenience.    The water damage was something that had to be addressed immediately, therefore we had no choice, we had to get tile and have the bathroom floors tiled.  
Hall Bathroom Before Fixing Floor


Hall Bathroom (need to remove & replace cabinet, blind, & lights)




Shower Changes
Master Bath Before Fixing Floor
 
Master Bathroom After Fixing Floor (Need to still pain mop boards, need to replace towel holders,& lights)
*****
We have purchased water alarms at Lowes, and have been installed them throughout our entire home, near ever pipe and appliance using or holding water. We’ve placed 6 alarms in our tight crawl space to prevent having a pipe issue ever again. Water alarms vary in cost depending on the make and model purchased.  We picked up The Watch Dog Water Alarm, Model BWD-HWA by Glentronics for approximately $11.00 each.  The alarm has a sensor on the bottom of each device.   It also has a 6 foot sensor wire so you can place the box anywhere and run the wire near the water source. It was easy to install, and should prevent a water accident from happening again. 


One of the water alarms went off two days ago.  This alarm was set next to the water softener inside our laundry room.  Come to find out the water softener machine had a small crack in one of the hoses.  Water began to drip, a small amount from the line causing a 110 decibel alarm to go off.  The alarm could be heard down the driveway.  Our son Tank and Bulldog Man came running in the house to find out where that alarm was coming from, and fixed the problem.
 
**Note, I’ve not been asked to advertise, or received any compensation from Glentronics.  

I picked up these alarms to avoid the disaster from ever having a plumbing pipe come apart/break ever again.  This will immediately notify us about problems in the crawl space, and hopefully avoid major damage again.
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. wow!! very sensitive alarms. had no idea they even had these out there! reading blogs I learn so much.
    Merry Christmas to you and Bulldog Man, oh cannot forget Tank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M.E.,
      We had no idea there were such alarms. I learned about these alarms through my sister. They work really good.

      Delete
  2. oh and silly me....your bathrooms are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a disaster! I didn't know such alarms existed either, but for your sake I'm glad they do, especially since they've paid off already!

    I imagine you are excited about your garden next summer. I've been dreaming over seed catalogues too. I might even try something new this year!

    Your bathroom updates look great. Love your color choices. Hopefully no more curve balls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh,
      It was a major disaster we wish to never happen again! I've never heard of these alarms either. Since I now know about these alarms, I will continue to recommend them. From first hand experience they work.

      Very excited to start my garden, and can't wait to hear what it is you may try this coming year.

      There will be no more curve balls!!! Lol!!!!?l

      Delete
  4. Those alarms are a great idea - I am sure you NEVER want to go through that again. Such a mess! Glad you are finished and now can relax (right?) and enjoy the holidays with your wonderful family (Beans included). Getting ready for your new garden next year must be so exciting! Love to you all - xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,
      We never.....ever....want any disasters like this again. We're looking forward to a quiet Christmas with family, and Beans. Hope you have an amazing Christmas with family and furbies😊

      Come on spring.......!!!!! Hurry up and get here, I can't wait to start planting. Are you looking forward to spring?
      Sending hugs and love,
      Sandy.

      Delete
  5. Good lookin' fixes, and Bravo Zulu for using the alarms!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear the bathroom issues but that's home ownership. Lucky you have the Bulldog man to handle it. Now for the rest of your lives that issue is over and done with.

    I am having trouble reading your post. The font is very washed out and can barely be seen. Can you darken it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,
      Agreed, time for use to move on.

      Thanks for letting me know Mike, I will change the font and darken the print.!

      Delete
  7. It seems like to me, the last six months has been pretty brutal for lots of people whose blogs I read. I know it's been tougher than usual up here lately.

    I'm glad you got everything squared away, Sandy, and now maybe you can just enjoy the holidays. I have been paying attention to your trials and travails with the water situation, and I am going to get some of those water alarms myself. I am fanatical about smoke detectors, and carbon monoxide detectors, and I want some of those water things too. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, I firmly believe that old saying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Harry,

    Thank you dear friend we're hoping to just relax with family. I wish we had these alarms earlier, then we wouldn't of had the disaster. You won't regret purchasing these alarms, they work well. Being proactive about your families well being at home is a priority. Alarms and detectors are a must!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you all got everything fixed, and the bathroom looks amazing. I have not seen those water alarms before, will show them to Senior. I am thankful our new house here has a crawl space underneath and not on a slab like ours in FLA was. You know all too well I have been so precoccupied with everything that I have been lacking in posts at our blog too.. Things just keep us so busy. I am anxiously awaiting our seed catalogs ...I can't wait. Have a Happy New Year my good friend and TTYL.--JUGM

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a disaster. I have never even heard about water alarms. Great idea.

    Our little disaster was outside the kitchen and just sprayed the patio making a mini skating rink.

    Live the bathrooms. One of our projects is having our second bathroom redone and your showers have given me some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig