Saturday, February 25, 2012

Health, Food and Garden

The tree pollen has been bad the last two days.  I woke up this morning with one of those headaches; you know the one I’m talking about.  The one that makes your head feel like it’s going to explode!  I can always tell when the sinus headache is going to last for a while.  That’s when the circles under my eyes become more prominent.  Time to take another allergy pill (God knows, there are so many to choose from) and start flushing the sinus cavity with my sinus rinse. THIS IS NOT A COMMERCIAL, It is what I call relief.   Since starting use of the Natural Sinus Relief by NeilMed, I have noticed that I no longer get the sinus infections/colds as I used to.  When I start the day with a headache or my sinus’ start acting up, I will flush my sinuses twice a day for about 1 to 1 ½ weeks with the sinus rinse.  Then I will stop the sinus rise, until I have the symptoms again (this product can be used daily, I use it when I need it).  This process has saved me money (on doctor’s visit and antibiotic prescriptions), time (from being sick, miserable and at times stuck in bed) and my mental sanity (when you don’t feel good, you really don’t want to function).   When we first moved to Oklahoma, I was sick (to the point that I needed to see a doctor and take antibiotics) approximately 5 times a year (usually lasting weeks at a time).  I will have you know, I’ve never been this sick residing elsewhere.  Oklahoma has mostly flatlands where I’m at, and when the wind kicks up, which is all the time, pollen of all types, dust, mold and smoke (from fires) are predominant.  So in my defense, I have found a remedy that works for me.  I recommend using the sinus rinse if you have sinus issues.  Who knows, this product may work for you.  ***If you use this product only use distilled water and make sure to warm the water slightly


Time for a topic change!
Dinner consisted of baked chicken, baked sweet potato fries and my version of a panzanella salad (recipe below).
Panzanella Salad
(Serves 4-6)
2 Green Bell Peppers
1 Orange Bell Pepper
1 Yellow Bell Pepper
1 Red Bell Pepper
2 Plum Tomatoes
2 Cucumbers
1 Can Black Olives
1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese Diced
4 to 5 Tablespoons Olive oil
Salt to Taste       
Pepper to Taste
3 Ciabatta rolls or 1 loaf crusty bread (French)




Directions
Wash all vegetables.  Cut ends and remove seeds, then dice (large pieces) all bell peppers and place in large bowl.  Cut ends of tomatoes, slice tomatoes in half and scoop out seeds and liquid.  Dice tomatoes and place in bowl.  Peel cucumbers and cut in half, then cut length wise and scoop out seeds.  Dice (large pieces) and place in bowl. Add olives without juice to bowl, dice mozzarella cheese into bite size pieces.  Add to vegetables 4 tablespoons of olive oil.  Salt and pepper vegetable mixture and mix, set aside.  Pull out a cookie sheet, cut bread up into crouton size pieces and place on cookie sheet.  Drizzle about 1 tablespoon of olive oil on croutons.  Place in oven and turn broiler on. Broil until all croutons are brown.  Remove from oven and place croutons on vegetables and mix.  Now your salad is ready to serve.  This salad can be changed up by using other raw or roasted vegetables.  You may also wish to add fresh basil to the salad.




Wooohoooo, I planted onions today and well I must say, they look pretty wimpy or pathetic!!!!! I just wanted to get them in the ground (see picture below, no laughing allowed). 




More to come regarding my garden in future posts.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Sandy
    You are so...far ahead of me with spring-lucky lady!
    Oh, I have never had allergies. I do feel for you. I'm so glad you've found a way of getting some relief!
    I lived in Guthrie, OK for a few months. Do you know where that is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly, I so love spring, can't wait to do some more planting. Soon, spring will be knocking at your door :-)
      My allergies really kicked up living in Oklahoma. They weren't so bad living on the east coast of the U.S. Oh yes, I know where Guthrie is, it's north of us a ways. Just past Seward, OK. Hey talk about being familiar with areas, are you familiar with Marquette, MI? I was born there, love the country side up there. Have a great day, I look forward to chatting with you in the future.

      Delete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig